Free Wireshark Training Course Online

Take a free Wireshark Jumpstart training class online at http://www.chappellseminars.com/.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Analyzing Video Spews

[Follow me at www.twitter.com/laurachappell]

Have you analyzed your application traffic today?

As we prepare for the online seminar this week (see http://tinyurl.com/pputte), I played around a bit with adding video feeds to the training. GoToWebinar (our hosting solution at this time) does not support video feeds as iLinc and others do, but we found a workaround by having the LifeCam video window up in the background and showing th entire desktop.

[Personally I am not to keen on feeding video... there are many eves when I work until 3am, get up with the kids at 6am and the thought of putting on being seen in my comfy "Big Dogs" sweatshirt makes me cringe. I can't wait until virtual avatars can be synced with a voice!]

To set up this analysis I simply created a new online seminar, joined as a speaker on one computer and joined as an attendee on a second computer. I launched Wireshark on my speaker computer and started up the seminar. I joined the seminar as an attendee on the second computer.

Here's what I found about the datastream -

- When just showing the entrance slide the traffic rate averaged less than 500,000 bits/second.
- When I moved through a slide deck or showed Wiershark screens, the IO jumped infrequencly up to 2,000,000 bits/second.
- When I launched the video and showed no movement (camera pointed at the wall), the stream reached an almost steady 2,500,000 bits/second. Showing my kids jumping on the trampoline had no effect on the video stream rate - it's always sending out the current image regardless of the level of change to the video image.

I tweeted the full-size image of this over at www.twitter.com/laurachappell - you can look at it at http://twitpic.com/5ust4.

Next I'll look at iLinc's traffic with and without video enabled...

Laura